Find accounting schools near you
Certified Business Manager (CBM) Certification Information
If you’re looking to improve your career in accounting, obtaining an accounting certificate is an excellent first step. Accounting certifications can expand your accounting knowledge and increase your proficiency in a specific area of the accounting field.
Introduction to Certified Business Manager Certification
Certified Business Manager (CBM) is a masters-level certification based on the MBA curriculum. The certification isn’t as comprehensive as an MBA program, but more general in nature and provides a basic understanding of business administrative topics. Also, the certification costs less than $2,000 to complete, while an MBA program can cost upwards to $30,000. This certification is an excellent introduction to business administration and can help you decide whether business administration is a long term career goal you might be interested in pursuing. The Certified Business Manager Exam, coupled with a rigorous continuing education program, is at the heart of CBM certification.
Key Steps to Certified Business Manager Certification
In order to be eligible to take the CBM exam, you must
- Have an undergraduate degree (or its international equivalent)
- Have at least four years of full-time work experience
- Already hold the Certified Associate Business Manager (CABM) professional credential, a prerequisite to being granted CBM designation. CABM certification requires one four-hour exam that focuses on basic business management principles.
Preparing for the Certified Business Manager Exam
Prior to taking the exam, you take the following measures:
- Earn continuing professional education credits by taking free sample quizzes: The APBM offers sample tests, consisting of 25 multiple choice questions, each worth five CPE credits for a total of 15 credits. You must receive a score of 70 percent or higher.
- Become a member of APBM: Joining APBM gives you access to exclusive discounts on exam-related purchases, such as study guides or registration fees. As of 2011, members must pay an annual fee of $68.
Details of the Certified Business Manager Exam
The Certified Business Manager Exam is a three-part, nine-hour test based on ten learning modules that you study before taking the exam, all addressing central business management topics covered in the CBM’s Common Body of Knowledge for Business (CBKB) curriculum. These modules cover
- General Management and Organization
- Operations Management
- Marketing Management
- Quality and Process Management
- Human Resources Management
- Information Technology
- Corporate Control and Governance
- International Business
Register for the CBM Exam on the APBM website, and then locate your closest Thomason Prometric Testing Center, which has branches throughout the U.S. As of 2011, the fee for taking or retaking each part of the exam is $399.
If you don’t pass one or more parts of the CBM Exam, you can retake it as many times as you like. But you have to pay each time.
Maintaining the Certified Business Manager Designation
In order to maintain your CBM designation, you’re required to
- Pay an annual maintenance fee
- Earn 20 hours of continuing professional education (CPE) credits per year
The Association for Professionals in Business Management offers several online quizzes that fulfill CPE requirements.
Governing Board Information
The CBM Exam is governed by
The Association for Professionals in Business Management
980 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 1400
Chicago, IL 60611